Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thing 2: Blogging (Part 2), or It Came from the Blog Search


Blog searching -- the assignment for this exercise was to use blog search engines to find blogs worthy enough to be linked to "The Bowling Librarian." I used the terms bowling, then horse racing and discovered the following.

1. Technorati

I thought this was the best search engine, allowing one to search by posts and by blog. There are a lot of posts out there, but the posts feature allowed me to find some blogs on my favorite topics. Searching was imprecise (despite the tons of search options), and I had to go through a lot of results to pick the wheat from the chaff, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I found -- e.g. Into the Bit.

2. Blogscope

Though it looks cool, I didn't find this one or the charts or graphs all that useful. And the hits I was getting didn't seem to be as relevant as the technorati search I did earlier.

3 Sphere
This news-related blog might be interesting for breaking news. It would've been interesting to use this during the Santiago Canyon fires, when everyone was searching for news and blogs first captured pictures and news of the events.

4. Blog.Ask.com
This site is okay . . . but perhaps I'm not using it for the right purposes. The feeds on the right are all things I've seen before. I didn't really discover anything new.

No comments: